Our Birth Story
It feels like forever since I’ve written a blog post. The last few weeks of pregnancy kicked my booty and I had absolutely no energy or motivation to do anything. Then came the baby, we were in the hospital for 4 days, and the first week home took some adjusting to get used to. But it feels good to finally be back!
I truly wish we would have taken more pictures during the whole process, but I’m glad we got the few that we did.
Our little Bayler was born on Thursday August 2, 2018 at 12:51pm weighing 6 lbs 12 oz and measuring 19 inches long. I ended up having a c-section after 26 hours of labor and an hour of pushing. The baby was completely wrapped up in the umbilical cord from neck to waist, so a c-section was unavoidable for medical purposes.
We went in for an induction on Wednesday August 1 at 5:00am for a scheduled induction. I was 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant, which might seem a little early to induce for some, but after discussing with my doctor we decided it was best to go ahead and induce this day. After we got admitted and finished all of our paperwork etc. it was around 7:00am and they started me on Pitocin. I slowly started to have contractions, but they didn’t start getting painful until about 2:30 that afternoon when my water had ruptured and started to leak.
I had planned on doing a “natural” birth with no pain meds, so hubby and I got up and started to walk around the hospital in hopes of getting things going a little faster and to ease the intensity of contractions. Once we were walking around, the nurse had noticed that Bayler’s heart rate would dip after each contraction so they put me back in bed to monitor him more closely. After a few hours of going through this, the nurses would have me switch positions to try and see if maybe the baby was laying on the cord which could be causing the dips in his heart rate. In the mean time, I was stuck at 2 cm dilated for hours and the contractions were so closed together that I wasn’t getting a break. They lowered the dose of Pitocin and I ended up getting an Epidural around 9:30 that evening.
Finally after getting the epidural, we found a position on my right side that the baby seemed to enjoy and his heart rate stayed steady at. I ended up switching positions while resting and the heart rate started dipping again. Around 2:30am the doctor came in and said that if Bayler’s heart rate kept dipping, we would need to go ahead and do a c-section. I was absolutely terrified so we decided to try and wait it out a little longer with close monitoring. I stayed on my right side with the baby’s heart rate nice and steady until the next morning.
The doctor came in to check me around 8:00am and I was about 5cm dilated. The rest of my water ended up breaking while he was checking me and things progressed really fast after that. I went from 5 cm to 10 cm in about 2 hours and before we knew it, it was time to push. By that time, my Epi had worn off and while I was pushing the baby’s heart rate started to dip again. After an hour of making no progress with pushing, the doctor said it was time to call it quits and get a c-section for the safety of the baby.
I’d be lying if I said it didn’t hurt my heart going through all of that, and ending up needing a c-section, but I had to set my pride aside and look for the safety of our child. I had a complete meltdown while they were prepping me for surgery (I’ll go into that in another post), and things moved really quickly from there. Within the next 30 minutes, our baby boy was introduced to the world.
Even though things didn’t go as planned, we are so blessed that our little guy is here and is healthy. I’m so grateful that I had a doctor who cared so much about the safety of our baby and intervened when it was necessary.
Having our little Bayler here has been nothing short of amazing and I thank God every day for our little bundle of joy.